Cosmetic Solutions to Change the Outlook of Your Smile
If you are unhappy with your smile, Banff Dentistry offers cosmetic solutions to increase your smile’s appeal. Whether you are looking for aesthetic improvements or need restoration services and don’t want to compromise on beauty, we can help. Our cosmetic services are designed to improve flaws and restore full function to your bite.
Contact our office to find out more about how dental services can help you achieve your smile goals.
What Are Cosmetic Dental Solutions?
We help patients by improving the aesthetics of their smile while we treat dental issues to return oral health and function. Whether you need full mouth restoration or just want to brighten your teeth for your upcoming interview, talk to us about your dream smile.
Our cosmetic treatments can help with:
- Unwanted Gaps between teeth
- Misaligned teeth
- Missing teeth
We develop treatment plans to correct single or multiple dental concerns and coordinate procedures, so you spend less time in our office and more time enjoying a healthy, beautiful smile.
Is It Worth Getting Your Teeth Whitened at the Dentist?
When it comes to teeth bleaching, there are three common avenues to take, two of which are provided for by a dentist.
- Professional chairside whitening - This appointment typically lasts about an hour and can whiten your smile up to seven shades. It’s a fast and easy way to get safe, long-lasting results. This option is popular for people who need immediate results for upcoming events like a job interview or a wedding.
- Professional whitening trays - Custom aligners are made to protect your teeth and gums during at-home whitening treatment. Wear your trays when it is convenient for you. You receive bleaching solution that is more powerful than over the counter versions, and the professional trays will fit your teeth accurately for balanced application to all tooth surfaces.
- Over-the-counter whitening - These kits are offered at stores all around and can work well for some people who have mild staining problems. We encourage our patients to talk to us about their oral health and smile goals to help determine if a store brand whitening kit would work for you.
Does Teeth Bleaching Work?
We have witnessed bleaching results up to seven or eight shades lighter for some clients. Results will vary from patient to patient, especially for those on certain medications or have genetic disorders that affect tooth color.
Once your smile is brightened, you will want to watch your daily habits to protect the results. If you are a smoker, chew tobacco, or drink coffee or red wine daily, you may see the color of your enamel darken more quickly.
Restoring Your Beautiful Smile
Long gone are the days when fixing a tooth decreases the aesthetics of your smile. Through advancements in general dentistry, dentists can fix broken, chipped, misaligned, and decayed teeth resulting in a seamless, aesthetic smile.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
Implant placement has a 95-98% success rate, giving patients a long-lasting, convenient resolution to missing teeth.
During your consultation, we will examine the health of your gums and jaw bone to determine if you qualify for implant treatment. For some patients, we will need to first address gum disease or low bone quality before implants can be placed.
Once there is a healthy foundation set, the implant post is surgically placed directly into your bone and then left to heal. During the healing time, the post will fuse to the bone through a process called osseointegration. This process yields a permanent anchor for artificial tooth replacements.
An abutment is used to attach the prosthetic to the implant giving way for your gums to attach to the restoration creating a seamless line. This is especially important for patients who are replacing one or more front teeth.
Whether you are missing one tooth, several, or all, you can achieve a beautiful smile that is fully functioning and supportive of long-lasting oral health.
- Single Crown support - Especially helpful when replacing a front tooth, a single crown supported by an implant looks and feels natural. The crown is color matched to neighboring teeth, so it blends in with your smile. Since it sits atop an abutment, which is attached to the implant post, your gum line will look natural as well.
- Multiple teeth support -Implants can support a bridge or partial denture to return full function to your bite. The beauty of that is in once again, the custom cosmetic restoration that attaches to it. These restorations stand alone on the implant and will not disrupt the health of neighboring teeth. Brush and floss the artificial teeth as you would your natural ones and see your dentist for routine appointments to lengthen their life.
- Full arch replacement -Dentures have always been an important part of dentistry as they give ‘life’ back to patients with no teeth. Chewing and speaking ability are at a critical loss when teeth are lost to trauma or disease. Implant-supported dentures take teeth replacement to the next level by making them permanent giving stability, convenience, and full function to those who invest in them.
Are There Benefits to Getting Dental Implants?
Choosing an implant-supported restoration is a commitment. Treatment time varies for patients and could last up to a year before you receive your final restoration. The time spent receiving your implants is rewarded with the many benefits of dental implants.
Cosmetic Solutions for Dental Decay and Damage
If you have tooth pain, it's important to schedule an appointment before it leads to further problems. It is always our goal to treat patients who are experiencing discomfort as soon as possible and offer emergency dental care to those in need.
Fillings - We use tooth-colored fillings to restore a tooth with decay. Once we remove the decay and the cavity is cleaned, we fill it with composite resin to give patients a natural look to their restored tooth.
Inlay/Onlay - These restorations are used to fix a tooth with too much damage for a filling, yet still enough remaining healthy natural tooth to prevent using a crown. The procedure for both takes two dental appointments and require you to wear a temporary in between visits. During the first visit, an impression of the tooth is taken for the lab to use when they design your restoration. The second visit is used to cement it in place and adjust the shape to adhere to your bite.
Crowns - When the tooth is severely damaged, decayed, or needs root canal therapy* we use color-matching crowns that will restore function and beauty back to your smile. For crowns, we will use two appointments to prepare your tooth and then place the final crown with a temporary to protect you in between visits.
* Root canal therapy is a procedure used on teeth that have had disease or decay reach the inner portion, or pulp, of the tooth. We clean out the pulp and any affected roots before filling the tooth with a biocompatible material and sealing it with a cosmetic crown.
Do I Need Dentures?
If you have lost most of your teeth to trauma or disease, you may be a candidate for dentures.
Full dentures are a tried-and-true restorative option for patients who have advanced gum disease or have weakened jaw bone integrity.
Depending on how many healthy teeth remain**, we may recommend tooth extraction for full denture support. They can be worn on the upper, lower or both arches and work ideally when supported by dental implants. Otherwise, they are a removable palate of teeth that are taken out each night for cleaning to give your gums time to recuperate.
**If you still have healthy remaining teeth, we may use a partial denture as your restoration.
When Are Dental Bridges Used?
We recommend dental bridges for patients who have one to four missing teeth in a row. A traditional fixed bridge uses two healthy neighboring teeth that are crowned to anchor the artificial teeth in place.
When you complete your bite with a bridge, you regain your ability to chew and speak normally as with a full set of natural teeth. If you choose to have the bridges supported by dental implants, surrounding teeth will not be compromised as the implant is then used to secure the bridge permanently.
Comprehensive Treatment to Restore Cosmetic Appeal and Function
If you need a single solution or a more complex treatment plan, we work to coordinate cosmetic and restorative procedures to rejuvenate your smile.
It is important to create a healthy foundation to give your restorations the longest life possible. Besides restorations and cosmetic solutions, a comprehensive treatment plan may include:
Orthodontics - An aligned bite will help minimize wear and tear on your new restoration. We offer Clearline Ortho that uses clear braces to adjust your teeth in a more appealing way than traditional metal brackets and wires.
Oral surgery - In addition to extraction, implant placement, and root canal therapy, our team provides gum grafts, bone grafts, crown lengthening, and gingivectomies. We will also biopsy lesions to screen you for cancer of the mouth.
Gum disease treatment - A good looking smile consists of natural looking gums and teeth. We work to eradicate bacteria and disease from the soft tissue surrounding your teeth to support a clean, healthy gum line.
Restore Beauty and Function with Banff Dentistry
If you are experiencing tooth pain or are just unhappy with your smile, contact our office to schedule an appointment. We look forward to helping you attain improved oral health.